Friday, February 5, 2010

Too Much Lil Wayne

Lil Wayne is a pretty good rapper; there is no denying that. However, I get annoyed by the amount of songs, mixtapes, remixes, collaborations, albums, and whatever else he is doing these days that he is involved in or featured on.

Here is rapper and producer Funkmaster Flex talking about Lil Wayne. I think I can agree that Lil Wayne is under tremendous pressure from the rap community; he is arguably the industry's most prominent and recognizable figure and voice. But that's my problem with him: he's in too much stuff for him to be that good. It's like I have heard so much of him that I have become desensitized to his work. Imagine a song that gets overplayed on the radio. The same effect has happened to me with all of Lil Wayne's songs.

When Flex says that he doesn't believe that we have given Lil Wayne enough credit, I think he couldn't be further from the truth. Wayne gets plenty of credit. I feel like this contributes to the overload of his songs on the radio. A lot of my opinion has to do with the college culture that literally forces you to listen to hours of Lil Wayne if you enjoy going out on the town. And if you don't like him like me, people look at you like you have four eyes. I just don't get it; how could you like someone that is as overplayed as he is? And, of course, as I said above, he's good but I would listen to a variety of good music over the same great artist any day.

More on this later.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete-
    Since two of my main interests are art and music I really enjoyed your pictures as well as your post about Lil Wayne. I agree that a lot of people on campus end up frequently listening to Lil Wayne and other hip hop/pop artists because that is what is constantly being played at the bar. Ann Arbor does have some other night life venues such as Live and Circus that play bluegrass and jazz music, but if you are looking to go out in central campus your music options are pretty limited. As far as photography goes, I really enjoyed the landscape photos that you took. I have been to Walloon lake a few times and it is beautiful in the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really agree that Lil Wayne has some undeserved excessive popularity. Coming from someone who rarely listens to music outside of whatever happens to be playing at the moment (a fact that has greatly increased since I left my beloved IPod on an airplane to Vegas), I can even have an opinion on this matter because Lil Wayne dominates most of the content that falls in that "whatever happens to be playing" category. I'm not sure if his talent is truly remarkable and I know nothing about what qualifies as good or bad hip hop, but based on what I hear so often, I'd rather have several artists than just one playing over the loudspeakers at the bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that, although I do listen to and enjoy a lot of Lil Wayne's music, it's pretty much only because his music is everywhere and loved by our peers. I don't really go out of my way to listen to his music, though. I hear a lot of praise for him, but I think I don't know enough about him or his talent to really judge him as an artist.

    ReplyDelete