Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Code of Ethics

Don't hurt anyone:

So first and foremost, I don't want to hurt anyone through the posts on my blog. This is my first blog, and I'm only a handful of posts in; causing harm to anyone through any of my entries doesn't make sense to me, so I will do my best to avoid it at all costs. Additionally, this is a class requirement, it's not like this is my job, people getting hurt is just not worth it.

Tell the truth:

One of the best ways, in my opinion, to not hurt anyone through my work is to tell the truth to the best of my ability. That being said, I will fact check my information through multiple sources. If the truth could be potentially harmful, I will leave it up to my discretion whether or not to post the information, erring on the side of caution.

Speaking of sources:

If I get information from outside of my dome piece, and it's not general knowledge, I will do my best to either link to or give credit to the initial article/author. Giving credit where credit is due is fair, so all cliches aside, I won't feign other's information/opinions as my own.

Rumors:

If I encounter rumors about topics that I'm interested in or related to subjects/stories that I'm writing about, I will use my discretion about publishing them. I will find the same rumor reported by multiple sources and only publish it if there's beyond reasonable doubt that it's true. If I do eventually publish what is referred to as a rumor, I will make sure to publish and note it as such.

Correcting errors:

When it's necessary, I will edit posts for small mistakes or typos that I make or that are pointed out to me. This might be announced but are more than likely to not be announced. If I make large mistakes, such as publishing rumors that are not true, I will devote a new post to correcting my mistakes and revealing what I did wrong.

More on editing posts:

If I feel like something I wrote was stupid, incorrect, or poorly written, I will delete it on my own accord. This is for my good as well as yours.

Feedback from you:

I welcome any and all feedback from you. Let me know if I spelled something wrong, or call me out if I published a post chalk full of lies. This will not only benefit me by improving my blog but also help save you from reading terrible posts.

Bias(es):

I will do my best to remain unbiased in all of my writing. HOWEVER, here are some of my biases right off of the top: I am a Michigan sports homer through and through, I am a Philadelphia sports homer as well, I like many college sports (basketball, football primarily) a lot or slightly more than their professional equivalent, and that's all I can think of right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment